Friday, June 7, 2013

Kind words

One of the things that Steve (my neighbour on my first plane ride to Kauai and now a good friend) said in response to an email update of mine was: "You shouldn’t doubt yourself one bit, or feel inferior to anyone.  You can see by now that there is nothing to have high insecurity or self-doubt about.  Try to turn the corner to focus on the many of life’s challenges, not just the frustration that you can’t do physically what you did in your 20’s. "

Simple words, but the part about insecurity and self-doubt really touched me. I do feel that this trip has helped a lot in terms of recognizing that there is a lot more to me than just being able or not able to climb, run etc. and having a disability. In some ways I did feel slightly inferior because of my physical limitations, but I don't think I feel that way anymore. Not to worry, I'm sure I'll find something else to feel insecure about :)

It was wonderful to see Heather in Reno yesterday. Heather was the first person to my hospital bedside in Reno, before my first surgeries and she had never seen me out of bed and upright before; so it was wonderful for both of us for me to swing my backpack onto my back, walk towards her and give her a big hug.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment