Friday, December 14, 2012

Unearthing gear

Took out my climbing gear out of storage for the first time since the accident. I was curious to see what my reaction would be to seeing all my gear. Strangely, I wasn't flooded with sadness, didn't break down crying. I was surprised however, to find that the harness which I wore that day and my belay device were there. The leg loops had been undone - my rescuers didn't damage the harness at all. I looked at my belay device to see if it had worn away after all that rope zipped through it. Everything looked in remarkably good shape. Definitely felt a little weird though, seeing these objects that made me recall that day. I think the best thing for me to do is to throw them out. I wouldn't feel comfortable using them again if I were to get back into climbing, and no sense in keeping them around to remind me of that day.

My clothing from that day was obviously cut up by the nurses and doctors. Shame, there was some nice apparel there. My guidebook was burned by my mother, without my knowledge, while I was in rehab. My Mum, in a fit of madness/despair, tore the pages of the book and threw them into a fire with my ex-roommate, Jen. I only know this because Jen told me. I wish my Mum had been a little considerate of my belongings, but I also understand how upset she was, at the situation and at my partner. I'm not quite sure what would happen if she and my partner from that day were to cross paths. I do know you don't want to get in the way of Mrs. Ong though.

No comments:

Post a Comment